Thanks to my friend Helen Helena Cooper Personal Trainer who kindly gifted me a SCOBY I am now enjoying the benefits of brewing my own Kombucha. The SCOBY may not look too appetizing but is actually pretty amazing and continues to grow so I have even managed to brew a second batch with a new SCOBY.
So what is Kombucha
Kombucha is a naturally fermented sweet tea based drink. It is brewed from a mixture of tea & sugar and a SCOBY ( Symbiotic Culture of bacteria & yeast). I used a mixture of black & green tea to make mine.
During brewing the SCOBY feasts on the tea & sugar converting it into health giving acids such as glucuronic, lactic & acetic creating an effervescent, low sugar & low caffeine drink.
Some of the benefits are:
- Improved digestion- full of probiotic bacteria & yeast to aid digestion
- Supports the Immune system- contains antioxidants
- Reduced joint pain- rich in glucosamines
- Increased energy- contains B vitamins
- Detoxification- from enzymes
I usually train early mornings so I have been having a small glass first thing in the morning before training and another later in the day.